Max Roach, perhaps the greatest jazz drummer in history, and Clifford Brown, perhaps the greatest trumpeter in history until his untimely passing in 1956, invented and then redefined the genre of hard bop.
- Clifford Brown & Max Roach (1954) A+
- Clifford Brown with Strings (1955, solo Clifford Brown) A
- Brown and Roach Incorporated (1955) A-
- Study in Brown (1955) A
Max Roach solo
- Jazz at Massey Hall (1953, with The Quintet) A
- Max Roach + 4 (1956) A-
- Roach’s first album following the death of Clifford Brown finds him right back within the familiar confines of a fiery quartet. His drumming is as impressive as ever, but it appears that the presence of Clifford Brown brought out the best in him. RIP.