Her best songs are as tragic as her voice; has anyone ever sung with so much emotion? Billie Holiday is a cornerstone of American pop music
- Billie Holiday Sings (1952), A-
- An Evening with Billie Holiday (1953), A-
- Only an evening? (Highlights: “Yesterdays,” “Tenderly”)
- Lady Sings the Blues (1956), A
- After two lackluster LPs (Music for Torching and Velvet Mood), late-period Holiday gets back on track with one of the most moving albums of her career. Sterling renditions of “God Bless the Child,” “Strange Fruit” and, of course, the title track make Lady Sings the Blues one of Lady Day’s great masterpieces.